Sign in to follow this  
blinkaneye

Marina's singing/vocal technique worries

blinkaneye

Hi all,

I just wanted to voice out my worries regarding Marina's singing style. I had my first vocal lesson today. The teacher asked me to sing a song to know what's my problem. I sang Marina's "Are You Satisfied?"

He wasn't satisfied and asked me to sing another song because according to him "Are You Satisfied?" wasn't a challenging song so he can't pinpoint my vocal problem. I only sang the first few lines before he asked me to stop. Having said that, he did say one of my problem is because I probably try to mimic Marina's singing style and accent (which is true). Then he asked me to show him Marina's music video. I asked him to find "Mowgli's Road" because I think it's pretty challenging.

When "Cuckoo, cuckoo" started he went, "Oh wow.. This is interesting." Then came the part "Ten silver spoons coming after me" he cringed comically because it's a falsetto. He stopped and said, "Okay I know what's your problem in mimicking her," but the music keeps playing and Marina sang, "One life with one dream on repeat." That got his attention back and after a few lines of the verse he said, "Oh, actually her lower range is good."

I don't know how to explain this in his singing technical term, but what I get is something about disconnection from Marina's head-chest voice to Marina's falsetto which may cause vocal problems if it's done often or long hours. So I told him Marina actually had a vocal fold haemorrhage before. And then he said (more or less. I can't remember the exact words) , "Yeah, that's pretty common for singers that doesn't sing the right way. The good thing is they just need to rest their vocal chords without going surgery. But if you keep having vocal haemorrhage for several times, it bounds to damage the vocal chords."

"I just want to listen to her song so I can decide whether it's suitable for you (me) to sing her song. The answer is yes, but unfortunately you can't do it in her style," because he said something about Marina's way of vocalising her words (could be her pronounced accent) is unhealthy. He did explained to me again with medical terms but my head can't absorbed it. All my mind was filled with: it means Marina's singing style could actually lead to vocal problems.

Now here's my dilemma:

The reason that I fell in love with Marina's songs is because the way she sings a song is very unique. It's like she's telling a story and just having fun with singing without the restrain of "Okay, i think i need to sing it this way that so the notes comes out beautifully". Marina's singing style is not flat and bland and I love her unique accent so much. But if this will cause her vocal problems, then I'm worried for her. At the same time, I don't want her to start singing in a flat manner as well. Of course my teacher could be wrong. Marina might not have the second vocal fold haemorrhage but she might still have swelling tissues around her throat or something. I know Marina started to learn singing in another method that's healthier for her voice, but I still recognised the head-chest voice transition to falsetto in Primadonna.

Anyone who takes vocal lesson before that can enlighten me about this problem?

Gabby

Hello! I've actually had the exact same problem 2 years ago when I started taking singing lessons. My teacher asked me to sing a song that I like in order to get a perspective of my vocal range so I chose I Am Not A Robot. I would do the same thing at first, I'd mimic Marina's style, accent etc. He taught me that it's better to create my own style, that fits my voice better. However, I still like Marina's way a lot more so I kind of incorporated it in my actual singing style (which is boring and lame tbh). As we know, Marina taught herself how to sing and you can hear indeed that "unhealthy" way of singing in Are You Satisfied, Shampain, Seventeen and others. It is also true you can hear that on several Electra Heart tracks, but I've noticed that she's started singing in a more "soprano" way since she's last had vocal problems. That's the correct way of singing in Marina's style and I also think it suits her more. I do it now and it feels perfectly fine. You can also sing The Family Jewels songs in that style as long as you don't force your voice (too much). Try to sing more using your head voice until you improve your singing and then you can start learning different, more complicated techniques, with help from your teacher, of course. I hope this had been enlightening enough. Good luck :)

teenidul

I wouldn't be worried about how Marina sings and if it's going to hurt her. I'm sure she's fully aware (especially since her vocal injury in 2012) of her vocal health. She's a professional and I don't think you should be worrying about it...

MAD HATTER

Marina didn't sing the cuckoos in Mowglis Road, it's a sound effect she found online. And Marina is mainly self taught, she hasn't had more than 1 year of vocal training (including after her hemorrhage and the short time she spent in her London university). She knows what she's doing, unless she went back to singing that way (which she hasn't) then she would have problems. Her vocals got infinitely better after her injury (as well as the major vocal differences you can see in her performances).

like weeee-heeeeds

Marina didn't sing the cuckoos in Mowglis Road, it's a sound effect she found online.

flop

you're thinking of the monkey noises

Björk

flop

you're thinking of the monkey noise

Marina didn't sing the cuckoos in Mowglis Road, it's a sound effect she found online. And Marina is mainly self taught, she hasn't had more than 1 year of vocal training (including after her hemorrhage and the short time she spent in her London university). She knows what she's doing, unless she went back to singing that way (which she hasn't) then she would have problems. Her vocals got infinitely better after her injury (as well as the major vocal differences you can see in her performances).

yeah marina does do the cuckoo noises.

Also OP did you show your teacher the actual acoustic versions or the straight album song?

MAD HATTER

flop

you're thinking of the monkey noises

I'm pretty sure Marina mentions she found cuckoo online even though they think it's her :derpina2:

wraith

I'm pretty sure Marina mentions she found cuckoo online even though they think it's her :derpina2:

no thats the wide up noise at the start and the jungle noises

she wouldn't sing that part live if she didn't on the track

The Flash

"We were in the studio and I'd written about half the song at home, and I had some trouble with some things, and a bit of the chorus was like "and I don't know don't know  don't know  don't know " sounded like Jungle Book, a bit Disneyish, so I just went "Cuckoo!" and it stuck, and that's how I started to build the song"

:bye:

blinkaneye

Hello! I've actually had the exact same problem 2 years ago when I started taking singing lessons. My teacher asked me to sing a song that I like in order to get a perspective of my vocal range so I chose I Am Not A Robot. I would do the same thing at first, I'd mimic Marina's style, accent etc. He taught me that it's better to create my own style, that fits my voice better. However, I still like Marina's way a lot more so I kind of incorporated it in my actual singing style (which is boring and lame tbh). As we know, Marina taught herself how to sing and you can hear indeed that "unhealthy" way of singing in Are You Satisfied, Shampain, Seventeen and others. It is also true you can hear that on several Electra Heart tracks, but I've noticed that she's started singing in a more "soprano" way since she's last had vocal problems. That's the correct way of singing in Marina's style and I also think it suits her more. I do it now and it feels perfectly fine. You can also sing The Family Jewels songs in that style as long as you don't force your voice (too much). Try to sing more using your head voice until you improve your singing and then you can start learning different, more complicated techniques, with help from your teacher, of course. I hope this had been enlightening enough. Good luck :)

Which part did she sing in "soprano" way in Electra Heart track? Is it like when she sang "It almost feels like a joke" in Starring Role?

yeah marina does do the cuckoo noises.

Also OP did you show your teacher the actual acoustic versions or the straight album song?

He listened to the acoustic version first. After the first verse ended, he listened to the studio version.

Even in the case that Marina didn't sing Cuckoo in studio track, she did sing it during the acoustic version. Anyway, I think my teacher is impressed with her music.  :flutter:

Another chance to get a Diamond 

I wouldn't be worried about how Marina sings and if it's going to hurt her. I'm sure she's fully aware (especially since her vocal injury in 2012) of her vocal health. She's a professional and I don't think you should be worrying about it...

Ermm.. but a lot of singing professionals get vocal injuries. In a way, I imagine Marina's someone who will behave, "I will sing in a correct way for the sake of my voice, but I'm going to do it my way," which mean she's not going to completely let go of her old singing style.

whygeorgie

I think prior to her injury maybe she wasn't so aware of it or didn't see it as a concern, but since it put her out of action at a really crucial time (album being released and tour) I'm sure she's more aware now and takes better care of her voice and vocal chords.

BubblegumBitch

Females aren't capable of falsetto.

It doesn't exist.

It's just head voice.

Fairly sure both men and women are capable of falsetto, it's just that its usage is more pronounced and noticeable in men.

BuyTheFroot

Hello! :D

Sorry if this is late but anyways,

I've been going to singing lessons for 2 years now,

My singing teacher says that Marina suits my voice,

I guess what I do is just try not to push my voice to her high notes straight away

especially in Sex Yeah.

You just need time and experience in vocal lessons in order to get to the notes she does,

Hope this helped! :party:

post-5544-0-16581100-1465006105_thumb.gi