completelyweightless

Charli XCX- Number 1 Angel

8 posts in this topic

Over a year after the Vroom Vroom EP, Charli XCX has released her newest project (besides After the Afterparty), a free mixtape called Number 1 Angel! Let's talk about it!

charli-xcx-number-1-angel-mixtape

Tracklist:

Dreamer (ft. Starrah, Raye)

3AM (Pull Up) (ft. MØ)

Blame It On You

Roll With Me

Emotional

ILY2

White Roses

Babygirl (ft. Uffie)

Drugs (ft. Abra)

Lipgloss (ft. Cupcakke)

Posted (edited)

Lyrics is not Charli's strong asset, they've always been quite basic, but what she can do is the sound. It makes you want to dance and jump around. This mixtape sounds much better than "Sucker", that I always get bored with half through the album because of how similar songs are to each other. I can only listen to literally the first three. I'm not even talking about that Bleep Bloop EP, it was a mistake.

I read somewhere that, apparently, Charli wrote "Number 1 Angel" while being in depression. Can somebody prove or disprove it? I would like to find the source.

Edited by Black Magic
completelyweightless likes this

3 hours ago, Black Magic said:

Lyrics is not Charli's strong asset, they've alway been quite basic, but what she can do is the sound. It makes you want to dance and jump around. This mixtape sounds much better than "Sucker", that I always get bored with half through the album because of how similar songs are to each other. I can only listen to literally the first three. I'm not even talking about that Bleep Bloop EP, it was a mistake.

I read somewhere that, apparently, Charli wrote "Number 1 Angel" while being in depression. Can somebody prove or disprove it? I would like to find the source.

I think she said in some radio interviews that she wrote the EP while being depressed and frustrated with her label.

completelyweightless likes this

i like pop music, but the ott autotune and meaningless party songs don't differentiate her from the money making artists many true listeners askew from.

Black Magic likes this

mini-update:

I re-listened to some of her old stuff.

Nothing can beat "True Romance", it was flawless :flutter:

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, electrafilmz said:

i like pop music, but the ott autotune and meaningless party songs don't differentiate her from the money making artists many true listeners askew from.

That's what I meant about lyrics aspect. With "Sucker" and further it all went to either party songs, songs about money or songs about "how badass we are". While I like Charli's sound and vocals, her lyrics... yeah, not my favourite part. 

9 hours ago, Obsessions said:

I think she said in some radio interviews that she wrote the EP while being depressed and frustrated with her label.

Found it. It was an interview for NME.

Here it is, if somebody needs it:

Spoiler

Please sign in or register to view this link.

Edited by Black Magic

Personally, I think I still like Vroom Vroom better than the mixtape. I prefer the more experimental/PC music sound, so I hope she goes for more of that on her third album and not songs like After the Afterparty.

Posted (edited)

On 12.03.2017 at 11:28 PM, completelyweightless said:

Personally, I think I still like Vroom Vroom better than the mixtape. I prefer the more experimental/PC music sound, so I hope she goes for more of that on her third album and not songs like After the Afterparty.

Despite After the Afterparty being yet another song about partying, it was so damn catchy, you must admit.

Imo, Bleep Bloop could be... eh... an okay EP, if not for her monotone rapping. But I still can't stand those oh so rAnDoM sounds of PC music. I think I like the chorus to Vroom Vroom (the song) though.

Edited by Black Magic