Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Faux Real ♡

How We Discovered Marina/ What We Thought

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I first discovered Marina off of this app called Wishbone. You voted on stuff and got featured cards (comparing two topics), and I was pretty popular (?) within the app. There were these accounts dedicated to fandoms, at that time I liked Taylor Swift and One Direction, and knew nothing of these "dank fandoms". In mid 2015 I started following some fandom accounts and heard of this singer called, Melanie Martinez. She seemed interesting and I liked her aesthetic. I did some more research and watched YouTube videos of her. I liked her singing and her album, Crybaby. At one point I was talking about her at home, and my grandma told me Melanie's name sounded familiar. She had seen her on the voice, which is a whole other story. But I did musical.lys (cringe) to her music and stuff. I also bought her merch at Hot Topic. (Getting off topic) So I joined the Melanie fandom and checked out other cards on Wishbone. Some of them talked about this person called, Marina and The Diamonds. I also saw other musical.lys (cringe) of her music. I did even deeper digging on her music and research. I had heard of her song, "How To Be a Heartbreaker" and the lyrics seemed pretty cool. I checked out her iTunes on Apple Music and it said that she was half-welsh, half-greek. I was interested in that because I was half-greek too. One day, several months later, I was in this department store with my mom. I had heard "How To Be A Heartbreaker" for the first time there. Her voice sounded very Greek and British, I noticed. I later started to listen to her debut studio LP, The Family Jewels. For some weird reason I thought she sounded Australian, especially in Mowgli's Road. Later, Electra Heart, then, the iconic, FROOT. I really actually loved her. (June 2016) Later that summer, I started listening to unreleased music of hers and memorizing words to the released songs. In early fall, I started memorizing the unreleased ones. In Fall I already had 103 photos of her on my phone and realized she was really gorgeous and an intelligent human being, who was normal and f*cked up regularly but was a goddess to me. Along that summer road, I discovered many new artists as well. 2016 was a "uge" year for me. So many fandoms (#thecliqueisgoingtojailparty) and dank memes. Lol such a long post. I seriously hope there isn't already a thread for this. :giveup:

Edited by Faux Real ♡
mimasdiamonds likes this

In 2012 I clicked on a friend's tumblr and Teen Idle played, and I was hooked.
I started with Electra Heart, and moved onto The Family Jewels, then MvS, then unreleased.
I was really hooked around the release of the Lies music video.
My life has not changed since.
(Also when I heard FROOT played in a shopping centre I was basically crying, plus I was wearing a FROOT shirt)

Faux Real ♡ likes this

Well, I'd heard Primadonna back in 2012 on the radio, but that was the only real exposure I had to Marina until around 2014, when HTBAHB was featured in a collaborative video effort on YouTube I was partaking in. From then on, I had downloaded Lies and Primadonna but I hadn't really heard much else. I really got into Marina once FROOT rolled around, and from then on, I became a diamandiholic :toofunny: I will admit, though, I prefer TFJ by miles.

When I was a young warthog I found How To Be A Heartbreaker and I Am Not A Robot, Me and my Mum always used to sing them together (idk why) and we still do sometimes, she reckons shes heard her on the radio and I got more attached to Marina's music to the point I would remix them and listen to demos and make fanmade stuff etc.

Well, my story starts in september/october of 2015 when I was watching Marie Antoinette (2006) music videos (like AMVs but with clips from this movie) and two got my attention: Bubblegum Bitch and The State Of Dreaming. I adored them. Soon I got obsessed with the songs and it wasn't until 2016 when I explored more of the beautiful Marina world, I started to like Teen Idle and I Am Not A Robot. I recomended Marina's music to my friends and they liked her a lot. Then I tried to listen to TFJ, at first I thought it was annoying, but it grew on me and now it's my favorite album of all times (also the only Marina album i have)  then I fell in love with Froot and her unreleased work and I'm sure I've listened to basically everything Marina has made so far. I always thought she was smart and really wise (also very beautiful) and it's true

Late 2012, early 2013 I was really into Lana and Florence ( still am tbh). I was listening to one of their Pandora stations and heard Mowgli's road which I thought was really cool but I didn't look much more into her. Then I saw some of her stuff on Tumblr ( I know I know) and looked into her and have been a fan ever since.

I heard IANAR in some TV ad back in 2010 or 2011 and I really liked it! Then I googled her and thought "wow she's very weird" and kinda stopped listening to her. But then for some reason I discovered Electra Heart in 2013 and was hooked for life :giveup: