Superpower

Marina's most wasted possible hits?

Which one was the most wasted of all the possible hits?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Of all these official singles, which one was done the most wrong and could've been MORE succesful than it was?

• Hollywood
    • Oh No!
    • I Am not a Robot
    • Radioactive (had more potential tbh)
    • Primadonna (maybe even bigger?)
    • Power & Control (completely abandoned in favour of HTBAHB)
    • How to Be a Heartbreaker (was handled messily)
    • FROOT (had a mediocre video and not a proper release/treatment)
    • I'm a Ruin (same as FROOT)
    • Forget (same as I'm a Ruin)
    • Blue (this deserved to smash honestly!)
    • Other (which one?)
  2. 2. Of all these NON singles, which one should've been released and had potential to become a hit?

• Numb (charted higher than I'm a Ruin and Power & Control in the UK)
    • Bubblegum Bitch (could've been as big as Primadonna at least)
    • Lies (same as the last one)
    • Teen Idle (still iconic, despite not being a single)
    • Happy (wasn't properly released)
    • Savages (was really catchy)
    • Other (which one?)

Superpower

Hey guys, so we all know Marina's not a singles/hits artist and that's totally fine with me, nontheless I've always felt like she's sabotaged her commercial success a little by not choosing the right songs to be singles, not promoting enough, not sending the songs to the big/important radio stations or simply by not having enough support/money form her record label.

This thread is to discuss what songs we think had potential to be more succesful and which one should've been released as singles instead of some others and HOW do you think the success could've been posisble.

Resultado de imagen para marina and the diamonds

Edited by Superpower

Superpower

In my opinion:

I've always thought that Primadonna's success was fine but I was bitter that it never reached the top 10 in the UK bc it was so close 😢 😢 😢 .

Bubblegum Bitch, Lies and Teen Idle could've been very succesful songs considering how much the fans and public loves them and streams them without any of them having been released as singles/having a music video either.

HTBAH, despite not being my favorite song, had all the potential to become Marina's biggest song and first WW hit but it was sabotaged horribly:

1. The song was promoted along with Primadonna instead of P&C, when it hadn't even been released yet, only ruining P&C promotion time/possible success and frustratuing people who wanted to buy the song but simply COULDN'T.
  2. The video took longer to make and was delayed multiple times.
  3. The song was released literally 5 months after the video and the hype was already gone.
  4. The video went #1 in iTunes UK at the time of its realease, which only proves how much potential this song had.

Blue also had a lot of potential, considering how it always was a fan favorite and the video has 10M views but it was never treated as a proper single, it had 0 promotion and it suffered the fate of the whole FROOT album campaing of almost 0 promotion and focusing on the music only. Same happens with I'm a Ruin. 

So basically: HTBAH, I'm a Ruin & Blue deserved better and BB, Lies and Teen Idle deserved a chance they never got :crying2:.

Edited by Superpower

ElectraFroot27

For the first one, Shampain also flopped horribly.

Also the FROOT singles are just painful, I guess promoting isn't Marina's thing. Froot of the Month barely helped them be more popular, still it wasn't enough.

Spoiler

Like gurl what the fuck go and perform those songs on TV a few times and you're good. :trash:

Edited by ElectraFroot27

Mingyu

for #1 i said:

• oh no! - the most popular song of TFJ era hands down, if promotions were better i feel like she would have garnered a bigger fanbase early in her career
  • htbahb - altho its hated by a lot of marina fans, :browina2: i think it could have broken through into mainstream media, altho im not sure if i'd want that considering the whole record is satire on pop's perception of women & love as well buuuuut
  • froot - a weird track, yes, but i think it would have attracted a more alternative/offbeat fanbase who would have really loved + purchased the album lol
  • blue - does this need an explanation???

for #2:

• bubblegum bitch - personally i cant really understand why this would do so well considering the song is shit lyrically but lots of fans like it and i know it would so :okaycool:
  • lies - i feel like this would be the ballad of the year and wouldve done well on the charts, cuz occasionally a good slow ballad will push thru to the top of the charts, i rly think this could have been pretty big

Superpower
2 minutes ago, Mingyu said:

for #1 i said:

• oh no! - the most popular song of TFJ era hands down, if promotions were better i feel like she would have garnered a bigger fanbase early in her career
  • htbahb - altho its hated by a lot of marina fans, :browina2: i think it could have broken through into mainstream media, altho im not sure if i'd want that considering the whole record is satire on pop's perception of women & love as well buuuuut
  • froot - a weird track, yes, but i think it would have attracted a more alternative/offbeat fanbase who would have really loved + purchased the album lol
  • blue - does this need an explanation???

for #2:

• bubblegum bitch - personally i cant really understand why this would do so well considering the song is shit lyrically but lots of fans like it and i know it would so :okaycool:
  • lies - i feel like this would be the ballad of the year and wouldve done well on the charts, cuz occasionally a good slow ballad will push thru to the top of the charts, i rly think this could have been pretty big

Bubblegum Bitch lyric's are satirical, so it isn't as bad as you say and the melody and production are amazing. I think is the only Marina song with such upbeat and pop rock inspired sounds.

Mingyu
2 minutes ago, Superpower said:

Bubblegum Bitch lyric's are satirical, so it isn't as bad as you say and the melody and production are amazing. I think is the only Marina song with such upbeat and pop rock inspired sounds.

i understand that--and i agree about the production. but what annoys me is how everyone praises it and acts like it's one of her best songs....satirical or not, it's still weak. most of EH is satirical and each song that is is way better than bubblegum bitch. idk, im just tired of people acting like there are only like 5 songs on the album.

i guess im tired of casual marina fans, cuz those are the ones who only like the few songs off EH lmao. casual marina fans: EH song that isnt primadonna, bb, htbahb, homewrecker, or teen idle = trash :idk:

Superpower
6 minutes ago, Mingyu said:

i understand that--and i agree about the production. but what annoys me is how everyone praises it and acts like it's one of her best songs....satirical or not, it's still weak. most of EH is satirical and each song that is is way better than bubblegum bitch. idk, im just tired of people acting like there are only like 5 songs on the album.

i guess im tired of casual marina fans, cuz those are the ones who only like the few songs off EH lmao. casual marina fans: EH song that isnt primadonna, bb, htbahb, homewrecker, or teen idle = trash :idk:

I'm sorry my friend, but I'm a Diamond since early 2010 and I could say that I'm 100% one of the biggest Marina fans in the world and I only like a few EH tracks haha, because I think is stuffed up with too much filler material (Starring Role, Homewrecker, Valley of the Dolls, Hypocrates, etc..) I get your point tho, because there are still some amazing underrated songs on the album, like LHC and P&C, but I think it's her worst album by far.

The amazing thing about BB is that it completely summarizes the whole album, and that's it is shamelessly satirical, whereas with some others songs on the album you can't really tell what about them is real and what isn't. I also love the melody, production and vocal performance, I think I wouldn't love it as much withour those elements. I also love the whole, all over the place, "in your face" feeling that the song has, and that Marina wasn't afraid to be so outspoken about her mean side.

Edited by Superpower

Freedom Of Falling

Blue should've been released as the lead single; I know Marina said that she didn't want to go down the radio singles route for Froot, but if it had the lead single budget for the video, it's likely that it could've become a sleeper hit a lot like New Rules

Numb could've smashed if it was released in place of Shampain, it was definitely a product of the time period, and it's just an iconic song in general

Savages would have also done well, Marina expressed interest in releasing it as a single, despite not being particularly radio friendly. If she had done some charity donation based in the sales (Kinda like Ariana's One Last Time and OLM) it probably could've done quite well

I would also say Bubblegum Bitch, however, she would likely have to record some sorta cringey alternate lyric "I'm gonna be your bubblegum chick for example :air: ) There are ways to approach releasing an explicit title to radios, like Dua's IDGAF. Again, BB sounds very much a product of the time period

Mingyu
11 hours ago, Superpower said:

I'm sorry my friend, but I'm a Diamond since early 2010 and I could say that I'm 100% one of the biggest Marina fans in the world and I only like a few EH tracks haha, because I think is stuffed up with too much filler material (Starring Role, Homewrecker, Valley of the Dolls, Hypocrates, etc..) I get your point tho, because there are still some amazing underrated songs on the album, like LHC and P&C, but I think it's her worst album by far.

The amazing thing about BB is that it completely summarizes the whole album, and that's it is shamelessly satirical, whereas with some others songs on the album you can't really tell what about them is real and what isn't. I also love the melody, production and vocal performance, I think I wouldn't love it as much withour those elements. I also love the whole, all over the place, "in your face" feeling that the song has, and that Marina wasn't afraid to be so outspoken about her mean side.

well then you'd be the first hardcore marina fan to say that to me lol, the rest who just like the few tracks are 99.9% of the time casual fans. yeah EH is her weakest imo, but art is subjective so i really cant say what is the worst. most diamonds think TFJ is too weird and froot was a flop (just bc it wasnt EH 2.0) but i guess every1's entitled to their opinions.

i do agree it summarizes the album, that's why i feel so strongly about it not being under any/all of the archetypes. it falls under each one because it has pieces in the lyrics that hint towards each one; it doesnt belong to a singular one. it's a good introduction to the album, dumbing down the lyrics and placing the production somewhere in the 90's so that you're geared up towards what's to come on the album. it's a great song conceptually, but the lyrics are typically what's praised, when they're a j o k e, so that's what irritates me.

then again teen idle is also supposed to be satirical and people praise it like crazy bc they miss the entire point :wtf:

Maladroit

Lies really should have been a single. Honestly I think it's one of the most radio-friendly songs on EH... like :idk: It's such an obvious choice looking back, idk what anyone involved with these decisions was thinking

Cool! It awvahlaps
On 7/27/2018 at 8:17 AM, Superpower said:

EH is stuffed up with too much filler material (Starring Role)

get out

PrimadonnaAF

How I Am Not A Robot didn't have smash success is crazy. Especially with the style of music being released around it, I'm shook it barely got out of the top 20 in the UK. Had really strong potential to be the indie breakout for her.