Since I was a teen
Cut my feelings off clean, clean

[Post-Chorus]
Ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh

[Bridge]
Did you ever truly love me? (Did you ever truly love me?)
Or are you just too scared to be free? (Are you just too scared to be free?)
My God is dying silently (My God is dying silently)
Nobody believes
Nobody believes

[Chorus]
I'm a machine
An emotional being
Since I was a teen
Cut my feelings off clean, clean

[Chorus]
I'm a machine (Should I pretend that you didn't exist?)
An emotional being (Should I act like you're somebody I miss?)
Since I was a teen (A velvet glove around an iron fist)
Cut my feelings off clean, clean (If you wanna survive, then ignorance is bliss)

[Post-Chorus]
Ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh
Ooh, ooh

Sleepwalker

*** This judgment may be hypercritical and harsh. Don't take it personally, thanks. ***

I wouldn't say Emotional Machine is necessarily a bad song, but I didn't like it. It's been a while since I don't feel like a Marina fan anymore too.

After almost 4 years of waiting for new consistent Marina releases, I can say the song sounds boring and even if I'm not a nazi about lyrical song content, the overall sense seems pointless and disengaged to me. 

It's hard to see that you wanna be free 'cause I don't love you in the way that you want me to // Did you ever love me? Or are you just too scared to be free? — See how these two parts are practically in contradiction with each other: first, she says that her supposed loved one wants to be free and she doesn't love them in a way they want to, but then she asks if the partner is scared to be free and if they ever loved her... what? Does that mean that the partner will become 'free' if they love her or... I don't know? I don't get it. 

(I'm) An emotional being since I was a teen — What does that even mean? It literally screams "I recycled old ideas because I need to get back Teen Idle fake depressed goths fans that post about Electra Heart on Tumblr all day".

In general, the song sounds like she mixed up I'm A Ruin, Forget & Disconnect. The chorus feels dragged and the verses sound forced because of syllabic irregularities. The vocals sound monotonous and slow.

I'll wait for the studio version for a final judgment, but, from what we've heard so far (M4 leaks + Disconnect), I really think Marina is losing inspiration.

Spoiler

Also, can we talk about the fact that Marina herself said multiple times "We need an alternative to songs about love" and almost all of her songs, especially her last releases, are about love? :toofunny:

Edited by Sleepwalker

Liliko

The lyrics are truly tragic... I still like the rhythm a lot. A slow bop. 

Torsoface

Sorry but I fucking hate it! So boring and the chorus is absolutely tragic. Where are the bops with great lyrics Merna? Bish, where???